Blackpool has a unique relationship with light, so you can be part of the festival, too!
Details of the 2020 festival will be coming soon, but take alook at what we did last year...
Fit2Glow – Venue: Blackpool Tower Circus
Building on the huge success of the inaugural Fit2Glow in 2018, Lightpool Festival in partnership with Blackpool Football Club Community Trust are to hold UV Football events for Blackpool Year 2 Primary Schools, during October.
Teams from all primary schools will don neon bibs, glo in the dark accessories and face paint for the 5-a-side competition, in an innovative and fun-filled event; which forms just part of the Education and Health initiative work undertaken by BFCCT.
The unique concept offers a perfect mix of fun, sport & family activity. The heats will take place at Blackpool Sports Centres. The sports halls will be transformed into a playground of ultra-violet light and glow in the dark sport; when the lights are switched off, the games begin.
Congratulations to St John Vianney's Catholic Primary School, St Nicholas C Of E Primary School, Baines Endowed C Of E Primary School, St. Cuthbert's Catholic Academy, Moor Park Primary School, Westcliff Primary Academy for winning their heats in the 2019 Fit2Glow competition. These 6 teams now go through to the final event to be held at the Blackpool Tower Circus from 9.30am on 16 October, and is open to the public.
Lumidogs – Houndshill Shopping Centre
The much-loved Lumidogs returns for Lightpool Festival 2019, offering you the chance to make light-up costumes for your pooch.
Would you and your dog like to be a part of something exciting in association with the Lightpool festival this year? We are looking for the most ‘fur’bulous local dogs and owners to take part in our LumiDogs workshops.
Does your dog light up your life? Well now it’s time to return the favour! LumiDogs will be holding design and make workshops during October, on Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th October at Houndshill Shopping Centre, 10am til 2pm, with bookable hour slots - 10 till 11am, 11 till 12pm, 12 till 1pm and 1 till 2pm.Taking part is absolutely FREE! All you need to do to take part in LumiDogs is sign up to the workshop to create your dog’s dream illuminated outfit! Places are limited so don’t miss out.
During the workshop’s you will be working alongside a team of ‘rex’perts and costume designers as they assist you in the creation of the most perfect and bespoke illuminated costume for your dog.
Late at the Library – Central Library, Queen Street
Blackpool has 8 libraries across the town, which had over ½ million visits last year. Over a quarter of the population actively use their local library for books, information, digital access, learning; and as a place to meet, spend a few minutes, participate in an activity or two, or simply feel welcome and part of the community.
Tonight we are offering something a little different at Central Library, as we dim the lights, decorate the bookcases and bring you an evening of light engagement.
Try your hand at lantern making, watch a potato power lights, grab a torch and get cosy for our reading by torchlight, marvel at the illuminations enviable history, experience some close up magic or simply gaze and admire the Edwardian Baroque style and the eight stained glass windows reflecting key themes such as Illumination, Aspiration and Curiosity.
- Illuminations archive footage film
- Children’s reading by torchlight, with featured guest narrators:
- 6.30pm - Mama G is delighted to be returning to Blackpool to shine bright with stories about being who you are and loving who you want. Story Time with Mama G is fun for the whole family - so don't miss out! (Recommended age up to 8yrs)
- 7.15pm – Join Gazargle, the intrepid Postalien from Pluto who has flown through the stars to share stories of space and aliens with the families of Blackpool. (Recommended age up to 8yrs)
- 8pm - Meet the founder of the Blackpool Tower, Sir John Bickerstaffe who will take you through 125years of Blackpool Tower (Recommended age 8 to 15years) Complimentary booklet ‘The Magical History of the Blackpool Tower’ for everyone taking part
- Close up magic
- Archive Illuminations photography exhibition
- Engaging workshops
- Experience a virtual reality 3D VR experience of the Lightpool Festival Light Odyssey 2018 concert with BBC Philharmonic
- Many Hands Make Light Work by Blackpool Museum Project and Heritage Blackpool:
- Family-friendly drop-in workshop and illuminations collection display. Come along and create your own digitally animated illumination. It is really simple and easy to pick up. Living Pictures will help you use iPads and apps to create some fantastic illumination GIFs to be shared with the world. You could spend 20 minutes creating a quick animation or stay for longer to create a digital masterpiece! It’s all yours to play with.
- Take a look at the real designs from past years from Blackpool’s Illumination Collection on show and be inspired!.
- Suitable for ages 3 and up, all children must be accompanied by an adult.
Talking Heads - Comedy Carpet, Promenade
Three large translucent heads - each about 2.5m tall - are magically animated by projections to make them appear to move, blink and almost come alive.
As dusk falls, three large translucent heads appear. Looking a bit like the giant Easter Island Heads, but each one of these moves, blinks, and seems almost alive - as they are all magically animated by projections.
The giant heads speak and sing, as they show the faces of any audience members who use the quick self-portrait camera, absolutely anyone can add their likeness and become part of the artwork.
But then as we watch, the heads begin to speak, to tell tales and even sing short fragments of songs as we put words in their mouths - all fully lip-synced. Hear them speak and sing words they never said...
An engaging, fun, and rewarding experience for audiences of all ages.